Exercise I. Use the appropriate form of the verb.
1. Cowperwood realized... that he __ making a very remarkable confession, (is, was) (Dreiser) 2. She scarcely realized what __ happening, (is, was) (Dreiser) 3. Then all at once he remembered what the program __ be. (will, would) (Warren) 4. Little Hans was very much distressed at times, as he was afraid his flowers __ think he — forgotten them, (will, would; has, had) (Wilde) 5. Rosa told herself that this __ the day that __ decide her fate, (is, was, will, would) (Murdoch) 6. She realised that he __ trying to convey to her that he __ lonely, (is, was; is, was) (Dreiser) 7. Mrs. Sohlberg felt that this __ going to be a wonderful evening, (is, was) (Dreiser) 8. He felt sure he __ sleep now. (shall, should) (Eliot)
9. He thought how beautifull and serene their life __ be. (will, would) (Warren)10. I was thinking that it __ be interesting to start a little gas company in one of these outlying villages that __ growing so fast, and see if we __ not make some money out of it. (may, might; are, were; can, could) (Dreiser)11. Each fresh noise crept through her senses like an enemy who __ found a gap in the walls of a beleaguered city, (has, had) (Bennett)12. Lunch came just as they were off Sheerness. He didn't feel so hungry as he thought he __ be. (shall, should) (Jerome K. Jerome)13. He knew that in a week or two, at most a month, the actual campaign __ begin, (will, would) (Mailer) 14. When I found Mr. Bennett __ left his house, I thought I __ find him here. Of course, he had told me that he __ consult you. (has, had; shall, should; will, would) (Qonan Doyle) 15. Brother Sumpter asked Jack Harrick how he __ to day. (is, was) (Warren) 16. We got to Waterloo at eleven and asked where the elevenfive __ from. The porter who took our things thought it __ go from number two platform, while another porter __ heard a rumour that it __ go from number one. The station-master, on the other hand, was convinced that it __ start from the local. We went upstairs and asked the traffic superintendent, and he told us that he __ just seen it at number three platform, (starts, started; will, would; has, had; will, would; will, would; has, had) (Jerome K. Jerome) 17. I was thinking that if any stranger __ in here now, he __ take us for man and wife, (come, came; will, would) (Shaw) 18. He knew that he __ been to college, (has, had) (Warren)
Exercise 2. Use the appropriate form of the verb.
1. I am just passing through Chicago... and I thought you __ tell me a little about the city from an investment point of view. (may) (Dreiser)2. He said he __ be obliged to run on to Pittsburg for thirty six hours but he __ back on the third day. (may, to be) (Dreiser)3. It had not yet occurred to her that she __ get money for the locket and ear-rings which she __ with her. (may, to carry) (Eliot)4. I thought you __ better sense, (to have) (Dreiser)5. Sir Wilfrid knew, from the frequency with which she used her handkerchief, that the tears __ down her cheeks, (to run) (Marryat)6. She [Dinah] hesitated no longer, but opening her own door gently, went out and tapped at Hetty's. "I knew you __ not in bed, my dear," she said, (to be) (Eliot) 7. We came to this part of the country in the hope that the bracing air... __ a good effect upon him. (to have) (Conan Doyle)8. The door opened suddenly, and a young fellow came in, with the air of one who __ the master, (to be) (Conan Doyle)9. She clung to the belief that he __ so fond of her that he __ never __ happy without her; and she still hugged her secret that a great gentleman __ her. (to be, to be, to love) (Eliot) 10. At ten o'clock he telephoned again, saying that he __ his mind, (to change) (Dreiser)11. Mr. Jackson departed upstairs on his errand, and immediately returned with a message that Mr. Fogg __ Mr. Pickwick in five minutes, (to see) (Dickens)12. It chanced... that Mr. Bennett received a letter from a fellow-student in Prague, who said he. __ glad to have seen Professor Pusbury then, (to be) (Conan Doyle)13. I thought I __ well, being tired, (to sleep) (Jerome K. Jerome)14. We asked if there __ anything further that we __ do for him. (to be, can) (Jerome K. Jerome)15. I hailed them and asked if they __ tell me the way to WQllingford Lock; and I explained that I __ for it for the last two hours, (can, to look) (Jerome K. Jerome)16. I invited them all to come and spend a week with me, and my cousin said her' mother __ pleased to see them, (to be) (Jerome K. Jerome)17. His correspondent announced that he __ unexpectedly __ to London, (to summon — passive) (Collins)18. He says he __ free to-morrow (to be).
Exercise 3. Comment on the Sequence of Tenses and translate into Russian.
1. He was informed that both his father and mother were out, but that Miss Dinny had come up that morning from Condaford. (Galsworthy)2. "I see what I see," Matilda said. "I see that this is how a leading citizen elects to spend his afternoons, sitting on a rock and—." (VParren)3. And for an instant, Isaak didn't know whether he was really asking her, the mother that last question over and over or whether he was just asking it over and over inside his head. (Warren)4. If only I could sleep, thought Hunter. Then in the morning I might know what to do. (Murdoch)5. He spoke as one who does not propose to say any more. (Snow) 6. Celia Hornby asserted that it was a good thing they had got out of the house. (Warren) 7. Then she knew what she must do. (Murdoch)8. Penelope stretched herself luxuriously, with the poised expression of one who has said her last word for the evening. (Snow)
Exercise 4. Translate into English.
1. Он был уверен, что они работают вместе. 2. Он думал, что его товарищи работают с утра. 3. Он думал, что его товарищи работают, и не хотел им мешать. 4. Он знал, что они никогда не работали прежде. 5. Он полагал, что они будут работать вместе. 6. Она знала, что они обычно встают в 8 часов. 7. Она не знала, что они ее ждут. 8. Она не знала, что он уже купил словарь. 9. Она знала, что мальчик интересуется историей. 10. Она сказала, что этот профессор читает лекции по истории. 11. Он сказал, что профессор читает лекцию. 12. Мне сказали, что лекция начнется в 5 часов. 13. Я не знала, что вы тоже любите музыку. 14. Я думала, что они знают друг друга с детства. 15. Она сказала, что идет дождь и что нам лучше сидеть дома. 16. Она сказала, что думает, что завтра будет хорошая погода. 17. Вчера я написала статью, которую буду читать в конце месяца на заседании кафедры. 18. Школьникам сказали, что вода состоит из двух газов. 19. Я думала, что моя сестра их хорошо знает. 20. Я думала, что она их давно знает. 21. Мне сказали, что вы читаете эту книгу уже больше месяца; пора вам вернуть ее в библиотеку. 22. На днях Елена получила письмо, которое ее очень расстроило, но о котором, я уверена, она никому не. сказала.